Find the latest news about the novel coronavirus and COVID-19 in Wyoming here. This post will be updated daily, with newer information at the top.
Updated 03/29/20 at 7:00 P.M.
Wyoming is reporting more than 80 known cases of the COVID-19 illness. The newest cases are from Fremont and Teton counties.
The Gillette News Record reports hundreds of Fremont County residents are in quarantine with possible COVID-19 symptoms due to lack of testing materials.
The Record reports people who do not require hospitalization for the virus are deemed “presumptive positive” and sent home to self-quarantine. Nurses will contact these patients by phone twice-a-day and record symptoms of that person and their families.
On Saturday, Jackson became the first town in Wyoming to issue a shelter-in-place order. Obtaining food and medical care is still permitted.
The Wyoming Board of Medicine warns physicians to not hoard or misuse drugs that have been seen as potential COVID-19 treatments.
The Casper Star-Tribune reports the medical board director was receiving information about Wyoming physicians prescribing themselves and their family members these drugs.
As of Saturday, Wyoming has 82 confirmed cases of the COVID-19 illness. Over half of the counties have been infected with this virus. These new cases were confirmed in new counties.
Fremont county has 20 cases, Laramie County has 19, Teton has 13, Natrona has eight, Sheridan has six, Johnson has five, Albany, Campbell, Goshen, Park, Converse, Sweetwater, Washakie, and Sublette counties have one.
According to the Gillette News Record, health officials say 23 cases resulted from spread within the local community. 18 people have made full recoveries.
The Casper Star Tribune reports medical officials still believe the true number of COVID-19 cases is higher because of limited testing. As of Saturday there have been over 1,500 tests performed. 1,200 of these tests have been conducted in-state.
The Tribune also reports the town of Jackson became the first in Wyoming to order residents to stay at home to prevent the spread of the coronavirus. The stay-at-home order went into effect yesterday through April 17.
Governor Mark Gordon and state Health Officer Alexia Harrist have issued multiple closure orders but have not gone so far as to order residents to stay home.
Updated 3/27/20 3:40 P.M.
Governor Mark Gordon today extended closures of public places including schools, bars, restaurants and coffee shops and prohibiting gatherings of ten or more people.
Gordon says the closures through April 17 are in response to the growing case numbers of COVID-19 in Wyoming.
As of Friday, Wyoming has 70 confirmed cases of COVID-19, though health officials assume the actual number of infections is much higher.
There are cases in 13 counties. Fremont County leads the number of cases at 17.
Gordon said in a news release “It is imperative that our citizens respond to this public health crisis by staying home whenever possible and practicing proper social distancing when they must go out.”
Updated 03/26/20 at 7:30 P.M.
Some Wyoming public schools are preparing for closures longer than Governor Mark Gordon’s initial closure order. The Casper Star-Tribune reports Natrona County Health Officer Mark Dowell told the school board he doesn’t see schools opening by April 6 during a teleconference Wednesday.
The Wyoming Department of Health Thursday morning announced of the state’s 53 cases, 14 people have recovered and that there have been no deaths.
The Tribune also reports that United Way of Natrona County has opened a community relief fund for COVID-19. One hundred percent of the donations will go toward individuals in need and will provide aid for food, medical supplies, rent, mortgage and utility payments.